Sunday, April 22, 2012

Breakfast of Champions is now Green. Basil goes with EVERYTHING!

Eat more kale. I love kale. I consume it in some very simple recipes quite frequently. People often ask me how to make a green smoothie. Well, it's really simple. Make a regular smoothie and put some green stuff in it. Jamba Juice really should jump on this one, because any of their smoothies could easily have kale added to glorious effects. I know this to be true because I worked at several Jamba Juices years ago, but I am sworn to secrecy about the recipes.
My own creation based on a smoothie I had at a delicious raw, vegan restaurant in St. Petersburg, Florida (Leafy Greens Cafe) while attending SUP yoga teacher training:

1 1/2 Cups loosely packed fresh Kale (using black kale- about 4 large leaves, I remove the stalks)
1/2 Cup loosely packed fresh Basil (3-6 large leaves) & fresh Parsley (small hand full of leaves)
1 Frozen Banana, use two for a thicker drink ( I buy a bunch of bananas let them ripen to my idea of a perfectly ripe banana, then peel and freeze in a zip lock bag) 
1/2 Cup frozen Pineapple (Trader Joe's sells a 1lb bag of frozen pineapple tidbits for $1.79)
1 Cup of fresh squeezed Orange Juice (I've also discovered organic frozen OJ concentrate at TJs & will be experimenting with adding a touch of that with some water to the mix, realizing fresh squeezed OJ on a daily basis is prohibitive)


Put everything in the blender. Blend. Keep blending. Rock the blender a little. Pulse. Blend. When smooth, pour into a glass and consume. You will be surprised at how delicious it is. I'm not a nutrition expert, but I'm told that fresh, raw greens have tons of live, beneficial enzymes. Orange, pineapple & banana is a delicious combination. You will be surprised at how the basil compliments all the other flavors. My favorite herb, I've enjoyed it in so many things from chocolate truffles, to lemonade, to this glass of green wonder.


Change the flavor by using strawberries, kiwi, or other berries. I think frozen bananas are a key element, as they lend a nice texture and you don't need to add any ice when using them. Icy smoothies just don't do it for me. I'll be working on new recipes as summer's bounty comes into season.

Use fresh organics where possible. Sometimes frozen fruits are more practical. Always buy strawberries & kale organic!
 My green breakfast, or any morning, meal or no meal, for that matter,  is rounded off with green tea.

Taiwanese high mountain green tea presents beautifully.




No comments:

Post a Comment